Our cultural experience begins!
Wadaba has excitedly agreed to be our guides through the music and lore of Guinea and welcome you to Africa this January 2020 for 3 weeks of total cultural immersion that will change your life!
Join us for an incredible enriching experience! No matter how new to the drum you are or how many years you've played, there will be a perfect spot for you.
• Arrival: January 5 or 6, 2020 (any hour)
• Departure: January 28, 2020 (any hour)
WE ARRIVE IN AFRICA WITH WADABA (Mamady Kourouma)
You join a host of amazing drummers who have studied at the hands and feet of Famoudou Konaté, Wadaba, Nansady Keita, and more. Many more.
• Upon arrival, we will be at the airport to pick you and your bags up. We must know and will ask you for your complete flight itinerary prior to departure. Some people will arrive alone and some with larger groups. You will probably run into some people traveling on this trip on your flight.
• Leaving the airport is an exhilarating experience a we head to what will be our home for the next 3 weeks. If this will be your first experience of Africa, it is beyond powerful. When we arrive, we will have your room ready and deliver your bags into your room. You will probably be tired and a little hungry so a light snack will await. Then we sleep!
• January 7th, we wake up early (set your alarm - bring a travel clock or watch) and head over for breakfast. Please let us know of any food restrictions you may have and/or any allergies. I will ask you all of that after registration. Drum Class with WADABA and his assistants, all professional (obviously) drummers and dancers is at 10:00am!
The rest will remain a mystery. It is fun to start to follow the natural rhythms of living African style with the flowing of events from one thing to the next.
• Call or contact for trip costs. We have these options:
- Full 21 Day Trip: $1,650.-
(not including Airfare) We help you find best flight prices.
-28-30 Day extended
Wadaba shares his deep knowledge of Guinea and the history of the music, the styles, the tribes and the specific leaders who have done so much to keep the information true and alive!
• A $500.- USD deposit is due by November 10, 2019. The remainder is due by December 1, 2019. (Deposits are non-refundable)
• Checks should be made payable to 'Alan Tauber' (NOT DrumConnection) and sent to Alan Tauber, PO Box 293, Wayland, MA 01778. You may pay the remainder at any time before Dec. 1st. We are accepting money orders and personal checks this year.
We will supply you with a very small, powerful flashlight, a micro-fibre cloth for cleaning glasses or camera lenses, and more. Money can be kept in our safe or hidden well in your room.
NECESSARY PRE-TRIP TASKS
• You must have a letter of invitation from Mamady Kourouma or me or my brother for this trip. (we do this for you)
• Arrange your RT airfare with our guidance. If in US, you may travel with us on the same plane.
• You must get your documents in order. We will help with all of it.
• You must have a passport valid for at least 6 mos. and a visa to enter Guinea.
• Yellow Fever vaccination is required.
• Anti-Malarial medication is also required by DrumConnection. (Many choices are available)
• NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE: (but not much more)
When we take side trips to marketplaces, the beaches on the islands, food away from the compound, the small amounts of the extras as the ride to the islands, taking a taxi, dining away at a restaurant are not covered but are at minimal cost.
- If you want to study privately with any of the vast array of great drummers, you will pay them on your own. Very reasonable. Give what you can.
- Airfare is NOT included in the price. We will help you navigate the best airfares.
- Trip Insurance is highly recommended and we will help you with that as well. Trip insurance, not included in the cost of our trip with DrumConnection, is about $100 dependent upon age!
- The cost of obtaining a passport and visa are not included in the tuition.
• We will be in constant contact about all the little things you need to know. For example, how to carry large amounts of money to Guinea. How much you may want to consider bringing. Can I buy a djembe or set of dunun there and how much should I have for that? How we will exchange money for you. So you get the best rates without the hassle. How many bags and sizes can I carry? What should I carry? More importantly, what should I not carry!
• For buying stuff while there, please bring NEW (uncirculated) $100.- bills US or Euro equivalent. Most banks will do that for you. You get more money in exchange if the bills are brand new. You might buy drums, fabric, pay a tailor, go on a boat trip, etc.
“Studying with Famoudou Konaté, Mamady Kourouma and Sayon Camara and his team of excellent teachers, totally reworked my thinking and concept of playing djembe. I never thought I would learn those things in my life, but I did. Or at least I started. I will never hear Guinean music the same nor will I ever be the same kind of drummer. I have totally changed as a drummer, musician and soul” – Student on a DrumConnection trip.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS DECIDE YOU'RE COMING WITH US! AND LET US KNOW ASAP!